Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Kathryn looks for a job

After nearly 5 weeks of looking for work, I have to admit, its harder to find a gig than I imagined. Mark's having an even harder time than me.

Today, I received a rejection email. Not only was I the most impressive and professional candidate, the only applicant to follow up with them, I was also a pleasure to speak with and was assured that I should be able to find another gig in a jiffy. Didn't get the job though did I? Oh no, that went to someone with more recent work experience. If I was really that fabulous, why not hire me?

After receiving that email I finally decided to apply for the 911 dispatcher job that keeps flitting by me. Pays well, but in the rotation are mandatory holidays and graves. Not ideal for me, I know I could physically do it, I just would rather not. I called and asked about the application since the job board posting misrepresented its location. (I applied and didn't get the job that would have posted this job opening among other things, just saying.)

Upon receiving the Word formatted application. I filled it out, checked it twice, printed it, created my cover letter and took a more recent typing test, faxed it all off and then disaster struck: I noticed an entire section was missing from the employment history. Called it back up on the computer, still there. Reopened the application, printed a fresh one, blank, that too was missing the section.

I created an 'employment history addendum' and amended my cover letter to include said document with an explanation and emailed the department back about the error in their word document for other applicants.

So what are my chances of getting this job?

Zilch would be my guess. I faxed off an application that was missing data. Then I emailed them to correct the issue for other applicants and re-faxed the application with the addendum. Pretty sure, they'll just be annoyed with all the paperwork and I'll not even get an interview.

No comments: