Monday, March 29, 2010

Kindness

An incident has had my mind churning with thoughts of kindness. It is so easy for people to be unkind, to laugh at others, to create an environment of spite.

Sometimes, it is hard be kind, to be brave, to be respectful. Sometimes being kind feels akin to not being popular. But if cruelty equals popularity, I for one chose being picked last or perhaps not at all. The biggest bully is not popular, that person is not well liked, that person just has weak followers who don't want to be the next target.

I try to not feed into that gossip, that malice, and I hope, I think I usually avoid getting sucked into that vortex. The woman that I want to be and the mother I want the chicklets to see me as is kind, loving, well mannered and though not perfect (despite my best efforts :D) always tries to be a better version of myself.

I hope this is the lesson that the chicklets learn and that in time, they understand. Alex describes said lessons complimentary of me saying, "My mom is always kind, even when it doesn't matter."

No comments: