Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Tables, Dragons, Sunblock, and more pox

Thursday of last week, started out much like any other Thursday. Alex headed off to school being sent off by 3 admiring younger brothers. Andy settled on the couch to watch his favorite show, Curious George -- the new adventures. Sean and Ryan started the morning battle for my attention. Sean running from the kitchen to the front room, while Ryan stuck by my side sliding around and generally banging into things. All this while I started clearing the morning dishes.

Ryan decided to climb up on the couch and show me how well he does so. Except on this morning, he crashed into the wall on his way down and needed kisses for his sore head. I came over and was checking him out. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Sean run into the front room, per his game of barrelling through the house at full speed. Andy joining him.

Then I heard a crash, a cry, and Andy screaming for me to come. I was already up and moving after the first sound. Sean had pulled a table down on himself. The drawer was across his rib cage, the table corner was pressing in his shoulder and the 30 lb dragon was by his head. Torn between 911 and regular doctor, I quickly assessed him. No bruising on his ribs, no labored breathing, very swollen eye and very upset Sean. I decided to go with the doctor's office.

Calling them on our way, they were fitting him in. We were sent for an x-ray and the diagnosis couldn't have been better. No broken bones. Perfect skull and cheek and eye xrays. I will say that his skull xray, may have been the cutest xray, I've ever seen.

So the next day, Alex had a field trip to the zoo. Andy's favorite place is the zoo. I decided as Sean was back to his old self despite the swollen sore looking eye, we'd go. After dressing everyone, getting sunblock on everyone, including spraying the twix head with the clear aresol spray, I headed down stairs to get directions. Saying, "Everyone stay up here I will be right back." I went to the zoo site, printed the directions, ran back up stairs, and there I found Sean waiting by the door for me. He was scared and trying not to cry. His entire face was covered in dripping sunblock. I held his whole head under water to wash off the first few layers. Then I had to irrigate his eyes, he kept rubbing them.

I called poison control and a neighbor to come over and hold his hands down. After nearly 1/2 an hour, I felt like I'd gotten it all out. Because his eye was still swollen from the previous day, poison control felt they couldn't diagnosis his eyes as burn free.

We headed back to the doctors. No zoo for Andrew, the culprit. There they put saline back in his eyes and as a precaution he had to have antibodic eye drops to prevent infection as the eye was tramatized twice.

His eye is now almost totally back to normal.

In other news, Andy has a so far very mild case of chicken pox -- 6 pox on his whole person.

No comments: