Sunday, April 20, 2008

Grandpa Jim

This morning, Mark's grandpa passed away.

He was a wonderful person. One of those guys who flatters everyone, is ridiculously proud of every one's achievements, and loved above all else his wife and family.

Random thoughts...

His stories about his WWII days as a merchant marine and pow.

His time working 'overseas' for the government in Newfoundland Canada.

Building his own house on his own land.

He was extremely proud of Mark from his college graduation to leaving California to take care of his own family. He didn't want us to go to Utah, but he told me that he thought Mark made the right decision that Mark was a man of honor and bravery.

How I was always his favorite -- I always found that amusing, as I was sure all the other grandsons' wives were also 'the favorite.'

His absolute delight in Alex's birth, to be matched by Andrew, and the Sean & Ryan's birth. Though he really got how precarious things were with Sean & especially Ryan. I remember having to convince him it was OK to touch them in the NICU. He still absolutely delighted in the miracle of their birth and loved to say he had "TWIN great-grandsons."

I never met a man as proud as Jim Devlin. But, I don't mean that in pride as a deadly sin. If anything was greater then his pride. It was his absolute loyalty and love for his family. There were no better looking people then his grandsons and granddaughter. There were no more beautiful children than his own great-grandchildren.

I realize this is poorly organized and written. I just have a few minutes alone and needed to jot down some things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:( What a heart-felt and sincere eulogy...your love for him was obvious. My condolences to you and Mark both! (((HUGS)))