Monday, June 08, 2009

Utah's Work Force Services

The people that help the unemployed are very nice here in Utah. They're understaffed -- hm, wonder if they're hiring....

First I called because the website is confusing. How do you apply for all variety of services? Answer: Click "Apply for All" even if you know you shouldn't, apply for all and they will determine for you what you should get. Mark has to apply for unemployment separately from all the other aid that I can apply for.

While filling out the application, I had some questions. I clicked on "Online Chat" and the tech guy walked me through each page I was unsure about.

After that, you have to do a phone interview (I was on hold for 30 minutes, understaffed). She figures out what documents we need to provide and what services we already qualify for. We should be able to get all the supporting documents to her tomorrow. Which is 9 days early -- good for us as she can start processing the paperwork.

The case worker is trying to get the kids (at least) qualified for one of the state health care programs so we can avoid paying COBRA as our savings has never recovered from the Job Loss COBRA Disaster of 2005.

Please pray one of us gets a job quickly. I've already applied at the IRS and am working on my resume to get it out to 3 other appropriate and promising positions. Also, if anyone wants to write up a reference -- personal or professional (depending on how we met) that would be appreciated.

No comments: