Monday, August 06, 2007

The Stuntman and his Sidekick Clothingman

Sean and Ryan learned a new trick on Wednesday. They learned how to climb out of their cribs.

I wasn't totally impressed by Sean as he can climb straight up the counter, the backside of a couch, etc. The little monkey can climb anything. Ryan on the other hand, is not as adept at managing the vertical obstacles that one normally finds in a home and thus found myself excessively proud of his new ability to escape his crib.


As you know, the chairs are put on top of the table or countertop to prevent additional climbing. No laundry baskets are left around, the couch cushions are often on the floor being used to give the twix additional height.

On Thursday, naptime, I put the twix in their cribs, thinking hopefully they'll stay put and cry while I make lunch for Alex and Andy. After lunch, I'll come back up and remind them its nap time.

Just as I hit the bottom stair, I hear a crash. I go back upstairs and find Sean pinned from the waist down under the chest of drawers. Ryan wanting to be helpful but unsure of exactly what to do, is moving clothing out from around Sean's face and chest. I pull the chest off him and he won't get up, but kicks his legs up.

After a frantic call to Mark and the doctor's office. Everyone agrees 911 isn't necessary and he can just be checked out by said doctor. The doctor informs me that Sean has once again escaped amazingly with only minor injures -- not even a bruise on him, just some aches.

So Saturday, Mark made up the used toddler bed I bought online for Ryan, converted Sean's crib to the toddler day bed, and moved the two remaining pieces of furniture, the chest and dresser out of their room and into our closet.

Their room now resembles a colorful prison cell with nothing but a couple stuffed animals lying on the floor and their two mini beds. At least I needn't continue to fret that they'll kill themselves at nap or bed time.

And for those ready to suggest bolting/bracketing the furniture to the walls, that will be in the next house. As we're trying to sell this place, it would be a horror to have to patch and repaint all those holes.

No comments: