Sunday, February 10, 2008

Loss of first tooth

Alex lost his first baby tooth today! At the dentist visit last week, he threatened to pull it. It was crowding the permanant tooth trying to come in behind it.

I felt wiggling out teeth is part of the fun of being a kid and especially the first tooth. I said, "Don't worry, Alex will wiggle it everyday until it comes out." We were given a month.

Alex was so proud and excited -- it happened at church. Bloody mouth and tooth in hand, we went to the bathroom. Applied pressure, then he gazed gleefully in the mirror admiring his raw gum.

He said, "Mommy, tomorrow everyone will pay attention to me at school!"

"I can't wait to show Andrew!"

"Can I call Nona and tell her my tooth came out?!"

"I wonder how much the tooth fairy will bring me. Do you think she'd bring me $100?"

I assured him that although the tooth fairy would remember him and leave him something, she could not afford to leave $100 a tooth. Why in our house alone with 80 baby teeth due to all wiggle out, that would be $8,000! He was shocked by such a number and thought of all the kids he knows and said, "Maybe she'll leave me a special gold dollar AND a quarter!"

The tooth fairy will be leaving a special gold dollar and a quarter and some fairy dust...

No comments: