Sunday, February 10, 2008

Post parenting lessons applications

So Friday morning, (the day after my first class) Sean & Ryan were walking around the house with Andrew's undies on over their jeans. I really didn't want to go to class/therapy with them dressed like that. So I applied some of my new tools.

Tool #1: Does it really matter THAT MUCH? (because sometimes it does matter THAT MUCH)
My Answer: No. We are going to therapy, a place where everyone knows what we're working on...

Tool #2: If one asks a yes-or-no question one must be prepared to respect the no answer.
My Answer: I really didn't want to go this route, but I felt since we were going to therapy, I could more easily respect the no. Good practice.

Tool #3: When doing something they may not like, offer a First _____ then ______.
My Answer: I asked Ryan first, "Ryan, can we take your underwear off and put them in a safe place until we get back from Kids on the Move?"

"Yes." Ryan smiled and slipped off the fireman undies, placing them in his favorite China closet cubby.

I turned to Sean, "Sean, can we take your underwear off and put them in a safe place until we get back from Kids on the Move?"

"No." My face fell (I'd gotten a rush of pleasure at Ryan's agreement). Sean slipped off the undies (Nemo) and jeans and swapped their positions -- undies over diaper and jeans over undies.

I was so thrilled! So some of the first tools I've tried have been successful!

No comments: