Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Smarter than 2 2-year olds, I think maybe not...

Yesterday, Ryan perfected a new skill. He can open every door in the house -- those with doorknob covers are no challenge, they used to give me time to stop them, not any more.

Ryan opened the mudroom, Sean took everything off every shelf -- we need to invest in locking cabinets for storage. While I was cleaning that up, Ryan opened up their bathroom door and they both emptied all flossers (kid floss on colorful sticks) unto the floor and into the toilet and bathtub -- this they did 3 times. I didn't know about the 3rd.

Ryan opened the 'coat' closet -- where the poker chips are located and they dumped those -- while I was cleaning up the flossers the first time.

Then, they got bored with the door game and moved on to climbing furniture and yanking hard on the blinds in the front room. I took all the furniture out of there and jammed it all into the guest room, so now we can't walk in there. I need Mark to move the chair for me to another location.

Sean attacked my uncle's painting over the couch; I need to find a new wall for that to protect it from them.

I tried to lay them down for naps, but with my cold (that's making me queasy) every time I lay them down my nose starts dripping. Every time I left to get a tissue, they were up and out of there, running up and down the stairs at top speed.

Anyone anywhere got any ideas on how to keep doors closed?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you don't want to add locking doorknobs with keys? That's the only thing I can think of

Kathryn said...

Thought about it, but it only leaves one side of the door locked. They can open the door from the other side. So it will work on bathroom doors except Andrew makes mad dashes to the bathroom. I have to think about it some more.

Anonymous said...

How about slide bolts at the top edge of the doors. It would secure the door on both sides. Only adults (or older/taller children) would be tall enough to pull the slide bolt, and it could be done as quickly as reaching up (in case of emergency).