Monday, May 19, 2008

Cassie's Cause

Alex participated in a walk-a-thon for one of his friends, Cassie. Alex and Cassie have been friends since they were three and a half years old. She has a brain tumor and is again undergoing chemo. As this is a friend from his old school, we received an email the night before inviting him to participate and he didn't get a chance to collect donations (i.e. $1/lap).

Cassie was completely blind 3 years ago and luckily the tumor was reduced enough that although she doesn't have perfect sight, she can see again. Unfortunately, the tumor requires treatment again. Radiation is not a good option because of some complications with the tumor's location in her brain. And surgery is totally out. Chemotherapy is the only road available and is very expensive.

Sean & Ryan donated by pilfering food from the snack table. They raised an extra $5 thanks to Seany & Ryan's skills at swiping and munching

On our way home, Alex said, "Mommy, guess what? I'm going to call Nona and she'll be so proud of me for helping Cassie." To which I responded that I to was proud of him. I did feel a little teary when he got to lap 8 and said, "I'm tired but I can definitely finish my last 2 laps Cassie needs the money to pay for all her medical bills."

If anyone wants to donate to the cause, you can send the donation to us or directly to the school attention: Cassie's Cause. They raised just over $2000 at the walk-a-thon of which $52 was from us.

Lakeview Academy
Attn: Cassie's Cause
527 W. 400 N.
Saratoga Springs, UT 84045

Additionally, I can tell you that having a very healthy special needs kid is very expensive. Ryan's tests and check up thus far in 2008 have run us $1200 out of pocket. I can't even guess at how much they have to pay for the chemo in addition to all Cassie requires for her regular care.

2 comments:

carolyn said...

I passed this on to my friends. I'll keep Cassie in my prayers.

Kathryn said...

Thanks!