Monday, May 12, 2008

Permits

So, the city has all kinds of permits and requirements before you do anything.

To do the backyard:
1 fence permit: free
1 shed permit: free if under 120 sq feet

and 1 questionable pergola permit. The inspector said, "Well its a structure so it needs to be to code, but I don't have a permit for it."

"Can you tell me what the code requirements are?"

"Well, since there's not a permit, just do what you want. Don't put a roof on, I guess screens would be ok, but NOT a roof. And keep it 5 feet from the property line like we would require a shed."

"Ok. So, when we're actually ready to do it, do we let you know? Make sure the rules haven't changed? Etc?"

"No, I don't have anything to give you or applications to fill out."

So my very basic translation, when the inspector doesn't have a good answer, do whatever you want and don't tell him about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm. I think you have the absolutely perfect take on this :)

carolyn said...

! that was funny. i thought living in cali had it's moments..

what's a pergola?