Thursday, January 20, 2005

Chess

Alex (as some of you know) is an avid game player. He likes all games -- Sorry, SkipBo Jr, Uno, Candyland, Monopoly Jr, Connect Four, Tiddly Winks, Bino, etc. You name it, he'll play it.

So, this afternoon, during "Alex & Mommy Time," it was no surprise to hear he wanted to play a game. Unfortunately, he chose my least favorite game in all the world -- CHESS!

He remembered my saying that I didn't like it but threw some of my words at me, "Mommy, maybe if you try it again, you'll like it."

Forced to play, I mentally prepared myself for a boring hour. Please remember (no matter what you read below) the following: I am smarter than the average bear; I am a genius; I am not a stupid idiot.

Alex set up the board in two licks of a cat's tail and told me to move. I tried to remember back (about 15 years, I'm not kidding when I say I hate chess) to the last time I played.

I made my move.

Alex made his move.

On his third move, he proclaimed, "Checkmate" and that was the end of game one.

Game two began with my realizing I was playing against a formidible foe. I was more careful, the game dragged on. Alex focusing entirely on capturing my king and forgetting entirely to protect his. Finally, after all I had left were a castle, three pawns, and a bishop, the kid won.

I am not playing chess again.

No comments: