Sunday, January 11, 2009

For the record

Describing Andrew as 'perfect' does not mean I think Alex is substandard in anyway. I meant it in terms of going to the doctor and being pronounced perfectly healthy. Alex is never pronounced that -- he is under weight, super hyper sensitive to stimuli, unable to do simple motor skills without difficulty and frustration, toe walks with extremely tight tendons, etc.

I don't want to change Alex, medicate him, etc. But if there are therapies out there that would help him, I'm all for it. And I'm not trying to label my kid. I love him just as he is. But I believe when you see a person struggling, you should try to make their life better.

He has ADHD. He hates how he feels AT school without his meds. I don't insist he take them on his breaks unless it will be a school like day or we're running errands and I need to know he can follow directions FOR HIS OWN SAFETY. Medicating for ADHD is not a simple decision. It doesn't have anything to do with wanting the kid to be a different person. Alex can't get through the school day without his meds. On days that we've forgotten, I've been called to the school to bring it to him, calm him down, etc. He can't handle all the stimuli at school, it completely overwhelms him.

I'm not a bad mother. I'm not a mother seeking fake illnesses/diagnosis' for her kids. I'm a mother concerned about my child's quality of life. And if I didn't care about him at all, I wouldn't have mentioned any of his symptoms, quirks, and ticks. I probably wouldn't bother with the ADHD appointments, etc.

Nobody argued Ryan's spina bifida with me. Why? Because there's a deformed place on his back, there was an open whole filled with fat tissue. Now there's a 3" scar. I'm the one that talks to the MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS. I'm the one that get the facts not off random internet sites, but from people educated in these particular fields.

I love all my children. I feel pain when I see Alex struggle to do what should be simple tasks. WE as a family have found ways to deal -- we moved to a house that would allow him his own space AWAY from the screaming, destructive duo, we don't buy Alex shoes he has to tie, we live by a schedule that allows him to know what comes next and after that, we understand his needs and do our best to make his days easier for him. I know Alex can't handle a bunch of chores. I know he needs to be left alone to play with his toys or read his books or play a video game. I know he feels physical pain if he doesn't eat at certain times.

No comments: