Thursday, January 03, 2008

Tantrums

I've gotten so used to Ryan going nuts and screaming if things don't go his way. So much so that yesterday, I was truly befuddled.

At lunch, I made Sean & Ryan noodles with chicken. Its one of Seany's favorites and he usually refuses to eat a sandwich. Alex and Andrew had PB&Js. Sean went bonkers. He screamed, he threw his plate at the sink, he ran to the 'crying' room and didn't resurface for 20 minutes, only to scream and hit some more.

Ryan quietly ate all his noodles & chicken and then said, "Ah, Dah" which means 'all done.' Then Ryan said, "Peas peas peas, at peas peas peas" translates to "Please please please, that please please please."

So I made his pb&j. And then Sean calmed down, signed "sorry," and happily ate his sandwich, smiling and making eyes at me.

I will add that if it had been Ryan, he'd still be screaming and never say or sign sorry. But he was like a different kid. I'm still amazed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathryn,
Your husband Mark is my boss. I have really enjoyed reading your blog for the last couple of months. My name is Dee and I have 4 kids my youngest is 4 he will be turning 5 this month so it is funny to hear your life with your kids and to see that my 4 year old does some of same things that your kids do. The thing that I do is my other 3 kids are 17, 13, and 11 and I always tell them to give my 4 year old what he wants. So if he is crying for something I make my older kids give him what he wants, but if I get mad at my 4 year then my older kids will go and make him feel better when I have gotten made at him. So I have most likely crouped by 4 year old.
Enjoy watching your kids grow, because before you know it they will grown and out of the house.

Kathryn said...

Thanks for sharing! I will delibrately give RyGuy first on things if I sense he's going to go off -- but I always feel guilty about the other chicklets.