Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Time Traveller's Wife

It is so interesting I can't stop thinking about it. In fact I keep calculating how long until I can pick it up again.

Its the closest a new author has come to the way I feel about the Potters (should say Rowlings), the Agatha Christies, and the Maeve Binchys. Even though I can quote from them and know when and where it came from, I still must read the books and can't hardly put them down.

I keep guessing where the story is going and I know some bits from the prologue, but I can't imagine how it will get there. I love this book and I'm only on page 196 which isn't even halfway.

OK, I realize I don't clue y'all in to my reading preferences and current book and movie likes and dislikes, but this is an amazing book.

This blog is really about the kids and what we do as a family, sometimes what they do without me. So, I may delete this later.

My little solitary moments are fairly boring in comparison. I delight in an occasional bath (very occasional now), a shower is too stressful as I imagine the twix up to something (so if Mark's not home I'm in and out in 5 minutes). I clean up messes in my free moments. I wash 3 loads of laundry a day and put away 6 loads of laundry every other day. I wash 3 kids every other morning and I supervise the shower of the fourth. I make meals that cover the taste and texture of pureed veggies (new to my routine). I play with the twix, I read with Andy, and I talk with Alex about his ideas and dreams and math and science and his books. I like to watch a few shows (Life, Little People Big World, Jon & Kate plus 8, and Medium) and I love a certain group of comedy and romance movies and everyday I read.

I read to calm myself. I read to take my mind off the things I can't fix and make better (mostly our finances and our chicklets varying health issues). I read to enjoy words strung together to make poetry, to enjoy the words I love strung together in away I haven't heard before or have heard before but want to hear again.

And yes, I read everything. I've read the manuals for all our major appliances and toys, I've read the advice on all Mark's retirement funds, I've read cookbooks, and I've read more books than I could manage to list-- I've tried.

Sorry for the rambling nature of the post. But this is why I love fiction -- an imagination can take you to places you'd never imagine and a really good book, leaves me hungry for more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you should delete this post.

That is an order!