Thursday, November 01, 2007

Halloween Run down

The day started out much like any other, except I couldn't rid myself of this pressing feeling of urgency. I felt like everything had to be done immediately.

Andrew had preschool and a preschool party. When I picked him up, I asked how his preschool party was.

"Well, it was not so fun. We didn't have a REAL party. We only made stuff like my spider webs and none of the kids except me gave presents (sigh.....)."

For the record, Andrew's 'present' was a spider ring, eraser, and vampire teeth. It wasn't a big deal.

After Alex's got out of school, we went to the school's Halloween carnival. This meant the twix were on their leashes and we parked about 4 blocks away -- lots of cars were parked close for pick up. It took us 15 minutes to walk there -- a normal person would have been there in 3 minutes. Alex was super excited, "Mommy, are we really going to the carnival? Do we really get to do the games? Can we do the trunk-or-treat too?"

You'd think his mother was not the one that dragged everybody out of the house to go to a 45 minute festival 30 minutes from home on Saturday. "Yep, we're here to have some fun!"

"YES!!! Come on, Andrew! Let's Go! I can't believe it! (Pause) Uh, Mommy, do you think you could carry my backpack around for me?"

They collected treats. They threw darts at balloons (well, not the twix). They even tossed some rings.

Then we went home and I felt frantic again. I heated up some kind of kids pizza thing. I went upstairs to find all the elements of the nights costumes -- snug pajamas, the actual costumes, socks for the twix. Meanwhile, I hear screaming, lots of screaming. Andrew screaming in pain. Sean manically screaming delightfully. Ryan screaming "NO, DOP DOP." And Alex trying to corral all these nut jobs yelling at the top of his lungs.

When I came back down. Everyone was uncermoniously placed on the couch. No one was allowed to move. Everyone was in trouble. Andrew pouted with a red cheek -- Sean hit him in the face. Ryan was nodding in agreement with everything I said. Alex was trying to ensure everyone would get to trick or treat. Sean was just waiting to be excused -- he couldn't have cared less.

Eventually everyone was dressed and ready to go. We did our street and a couple more. Then Mark to the babies and Andrew home and Alex and I continued for about another hour. His bag of candy was so full, I almost couldn't close it.

Happy Halloween!

No comments: