Monday, November 03, 2008

Falling Down

This morning on our way to school, Alex rode his scooter ahead of me and then back to me. When we got to the big downhill bit, he asked if he could turn the corner. I consented, he likes to race down the hill like all boys. Just as he started down, I thought "When he falls, I'll stay calm. I'll make sure nothing is broken and bandage any scrapes. If I need to take him to the doctor, my friend, will drive us home..." CRASH!

For the record, I never think Alex is going to fall. I felt very guilty as if I caused it. No broken bones just scrapped skin. He went down really hard landing on his knee, sliding on his helmet and elbow. Another thing, I don't get why parents don't make their kids wear helmets, his whole head would have scrapped and slide down the sidewalk instead of his helmet.

After assessing his injuries, I looked to see what caused it -- the awful walnuts from the walnut trees were mixed in with the leaves. We got him to school, cleaned up his owies and sent him off the class.

Then Andrew, Sean, and Ryan helped me kick all the leaves and walnuts off the sidewalk and into the street. I was concerned about the kids with no helmets. Sort of a moral thing, know a danger is present and do something to fix it. My dilemma is should I get a broom and garbage bags and sweep up all those leaves and walnuts we kicked into the street? Should I let the city worry about it since the street sweeper comes through there every week? What's my obligation now?

No comments: