Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Friends

I've never been a best friend kinda gal. I was never quite cool enough, smart enough, dumb enough, stayed in the same school long enough, or did the work enough to remain friends. I've been friendly with many peeps but other than my family and my hubby they all sort of flit away.

They flit because they moved, we moved, etc.

I can count for you the friends I have kept in good touch with:

1. Steve (co-worker from the Douglas days, thanks to email)
2. Katy (friend from the Saratoga Springs days, thanks to facebook)
3. Peggy (neighbor from the Hayward days, thanks to email)

There are plenty of friends that I keep in so-so touch with:
1. Erika (The most awesome person I've ever met. If you ever need someone, something, anything, she will be there for you. She's even there for you when you didn't realize you needed someone -- happened more than once to me.)
2. Jana (sports mom friend, she's given birth to all her kids at home, yes she is very strong and sweet)
3. Tina (supermom friend, very very busy friend)
4. Jessika (we go way back to the Safeway days, I just heart her)
5. Jennifer (my high school bf, very amazing gal)

At church, I have what I'd call church friends. We see each other Sundays and at special events. We're not really at a place where I feel like I can be part of the women's group, because of the twix.

Then there's my problem. I need a friend here in Paysonia.

There is Michelle. She's on the LDS welcoming committee -- brought us cupcakes, invited us to stuff, had her hubby haul rocks out of our backyard. When Andrew hurt his chin, she helped me get everyone home. When I had my surg, she brought me bubble bath. I really really like her. She's very cool, friendly and busy. I just don't want to push myself into her life. But there's potential. I'm thinking of inviting her to lunch.

There is Tracy, Michelle's neighbor who is sweet as can be. Jillian, Alex's friend's mom, very nice but its an 'our kids are friends' friendship. Carma, another of Alex's friend's mom, very nice also, very helpful, I'm also considering inviting to lunch. There are even a few others who are very friendly and nice. Then, there is a mystery woman who left me bread when I was out of commission. All these woman have offer to help with twix illnesses. But, we can't reciprocate until at least the summer when the viruses have sort of curtailed.

I guess I'm just kind of lonely for the woman friendships I had back in SS.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathryn,
You know I don't deserve that kind of over-the-top accolades, silly. I know what you mean about missing the SS female friend factor. It hasn't "happened" much for me here, either. But like you, I keep looking for possibilities of people as weird as me wherever I go. I don't think it's fair, how hard you work at keeping your boys healthy, and how often you are faced with illness trials. I hope Sean is feeling better.

Kathryn said...

I told you once when you moved, "You come into people's lives and make them better. Then you move on to make someone else's life better." It be no accident you are a nurse. You're an example to the rest of us. And yes, you do deserve the awesome compliement.