Thursday, December 04, 2008

Woman of the Year

A local aka Utah magazine named Rachel Coleman aka Signing Time! Woman of the Year.

Its about time. This is a truly admirable woman. Signing Time has made our life better and it wouldn't have happened without Rachel Coleman. Usually, I'm fairly unimpressed by the 'of the year' awards I hear about. I remember one year were some do-gooder volunteered around town quite a bit, and I felt 'whoopee, its easy to volunteer when you're not struggling to keep your kids alive and have cash to burn...' (Obviously that was during the most difficult spring of 2006.) These 'of the year' awards don't usually seem to acknowledge real heroism and sacrifice, its more of a flashy superficial do-gooder that seems to turn up. If there was ever a deserving chick, its Rachel Coleman. I realize that we need these do-gooders but some of us are in a position of just making it through the day and getting the bills paid. And its nice to see someone who makes my life better get some acknowledgement.

Seeing the difference Signing Time has made in our household, I know the kind of positive impact she's had on many families. Now they just need some rich A-list celeb with a speech delayed/developmentally delayed kid to discover Signing Time so they can get some serious press and decent sponsorship. Of all the pre-k shows I've seen (and I've seen more than a few) Signing Time is the most important, has the most impact, and creates real tangible opportunities to improve lives. Its certainly done wonders for the twix.

Go Rachel! You totally deserve your award.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you feel I am a "deserving chick" - thanks for sharing about Signing Time so often! I am glad that we have made a difference in your home and family.

I agree, we just need that A-list celeb to give us a shout out. Or an appearance on Oprah would do the trick. In the meantime, the best thing we've got is people like you who keep sharing Signing Time with others. For that, I thank you!

~Rachel Coleman
www.signingtime.com/rachel