Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I don't like to tell these stories but...

In Lehi, on Pioneer Day aka Utah Day aka July 24th, an 11 year old boy, Bridger was blown up by a homemade firework. I don't know this kid, I'm just affected by the story.

He survived, spent hours in surgery, his leg was saved (though they still don't know if he'll be able to actually use it). He celebrated his 12th birthday in the hospital touch and go.

Today he goes 'home' from the hospital. He doesn't even look the same person. He's like a withered pale ghost of the strong healthy sampling of outdoor living he was pre-trauma. He wanted to be a pro-skateboarder. This child may never even be able to walk on his leg. He's even said he doesn't care if he loses the leg, he's just happy to be alive. He was joking around with the reporters at the press conference to send him home.

All of this, because of some juvenile idiotic 40+ year old. He felt it necessary to try and make a firework with gun powder and a steel pipe. This kid was riding by on his bike minding his own business. Yes, the police are calling it a bomb.

Wiseguy didn't suffer any injuries. He made sure he himself was safe, but innocent child riding around on his bike who knows nothing about pipe bomb suffers skin grafts, fights for his life, spends 7 weeks in the hospital, and now faces intensive physical therapy and only God knows what else in his future.

I realize that I'm not a cool cat, that I am rule follower, don't like to break them, travel the speed limit, cross at cross walks, follow recommended safety instructions, etc. Look what happens when there is a total disregard for any kind of law, common sense totally gone.

The real kicker, wiseguy was so 'upset' for the tv cameras about the whole thing that Bridger's mother didn't want to press charges. I totally disagree, people like this have to be stopped. Make an example out of him maybe it will keep some other idiot from trying it if the penalty is severe enough. I felt no sympathy for wiseguy. I just wanted to throttle him and was disgusted by his display of regret, didn't occur to him before the incident to NOT PUT GUN POWDER IN A PIPE AND LIGHT IT.

I realize this is not a finer post, but sometimes a mother just needs to vent. I could go on and on. I may take this one down later, I just needed to get it out.

Although I was affected by this story all along, something just snapped in me today when I saw that child today. He is so frail, so withered, I can't hardly believe it is the same boy as that rugged-strong-muscley-ready-for-anything kid of all the pictures they've shown on the news. He'll very likely have to give up his dream. He'll very likely suffer for much of his life. All because so moron wanted to TRY something. The blatant lack of respect for anyone else really bothers me.

No comments: