Monday, September 29, 2008

More Signing Time

There is a signing show on PBS, Signing Time. Its been a couple months since we watched it -- Seany gets very tired (and grouchy) after 10 minutes -- signing is a lot of work for him. Saturday, Ryan was singing and signing the theme song, so I decided yesterday would be a great day to reintroduce Seany and Ryan to signing. They do their standard 25+ signs to help them get through the day, but more signs couldn't hurt.

Wonderfully, the Signing Time on Demand was about helping around the house. Great signs for Seany (and Ryan). Ryan participated with Rachel (the star) and talked to Leah and Alex (the kids on the show) about all the signs. Ryan performed the various signs as they did and would have me 'fix' his fingers so that they looked similar to the sign. My favorite was when he signed 'z' and waved him pointer finger around the air.

Seany true to form, became the grouch-monster after the first 10 minutes. I think it feels too much like practicing his words (hey, speech and language are hard for him), but still he watches the entire program. I figure it will sink in eventually. And for the first time ever, Seany said the word, "help." He said, "Mommy, hoo-loop me."

I keep up with Rachel's blog, I think she an inspiration to woman especially mothers. Her first child was born deaf, her second was born with spina bifida and cerebal palsey. (For RyGuy reasons I feel very fond on her.) She saw both her daughters as limitless as any other child and because of that belief and her attitude toward their lives, her daughters do things they "shouldn't be able to." She is a hero in my book. So to Rachel Coleman, thank you for making our lives a bit better, thank you for Signing Time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kathryn,
You are so very welcome! I am really honored to be sited as a hero to you.

Congrats on getting a new word! Our kids do shine don't they?

Rachel
www.signingtime.com/rachel