Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Signing Time

At first I was jumping around the room, Rachel Coleman from Signing Time commented on my blog. I really admire her so I was very thrilled. She a public figure with true integrity and shares the struggles of parenting kids with different needs. Then I read her bio and my heart fell like a stone.

Its horrible, effective Oct 1 (tomorrow) no more Signing Time on public tv. What about all the poor people who need Signing Time? Most libraries still don't care all the DVDs (most don't have any). Now the only way to get Signing Time is to buy it from the website. Have any of y'all priced DVDs on websites -- they bust our budget.

I wanted to do that last Christmas -- it was just too expensive. Still is. How will Ryan watch "inin timbe?" How will Andrew show off more signs like "pork-u-pime?"

She was just nominated for an Emmy (which was stolen, she totally deserved it). Emmy worthy show, why take it off? WHY WHY WHY!?????

I've personally felt that Playhouse Disney could dump Doodle Bops or 1 of the 2 puppet shows and replace it with Signing Time. Much better use of a 25 minute time slot and still plenty of singing and dancing and the kids actually take something away. One of the things Alex loves is that he can sign (minimally). And in fact, it actually happened to us, that he met a deaf kid at a park and was able to invite him to play. Signing has helped Alex with his stutter, he has just signed at me in the past and then spoke. What about all the kids in the future who won't be able to invite a deaf child to join in because they didn't know how to ask?

My heart still hurts. I feel so sad. I wonder if she has lots of clips on Youtube for Ryan to watch. Its not just a show to us, it actually improves our quality of life. I pray that there's a better offer for them in the works as I type. Must not lose hope.

Its not just special needs kid like the twix that need Signing Time. Its not just their parents either. Think of the 13 month old that was reading because of Signing Time (yes, she's probably a super genius).

Signing Time ROCKS!

No comments: