Monday, October 06, 2008

Walking with twix

So, I had a plan for after preschool. We would all walk to get Alex and then back home. No stroller. The twix would be tired and go right to nap when we got home.

Flaw, it took so long to walk home that we now have 25 minutes before we leave for football practice.

Things you notice when you're 3:

-blades of grass taller than you are meant to be walked through and swished
-rocks are meant for picking up and throwing at a person who looks just like you
-leaves are meant to be yanked off trees with great force so that whole forests shutter
-crosswalks are meant to suggest crossing, they also suggest darting forward, not waiting for mother, refusing to cross when mother says, "GO GO GO," etc.
-sidewalks are meant to suggest walking, they also suggest sitting and refusing to move, running blazing fast, walking backward downhill into approaching pedestrians
-litter, rocks, figs from trees, sticks are meant for picking up, tripping over, pretend falling and crying with great relish
-that sticky stuff on the rock I grabbed is icky
-my mommy didn't bring any wipes

Things you notice when you're 4:
-my mother did not get me a water
-we're still walking and I have no drink
-I'm tired and think I'll sit and wait while the twix move very slowly
-if I hold my mom's hand she'll love me most

Things you notice when you're 8:
-my brothers walk really slowly
-I can't go ahead with my friends because my mom is WAY back there
-as soon as I get home, I get a snack and a drink and another benadryl
-my mom packed tissues in my backpack, THEY'RE MISSING

Things you notice when you're the ageless mom:
-this was a mistake
-the twix refuse to cooperate
-now I know for next time to just push them in the stroller
-Andrew whines a lot
-if Alex paid a little more attention to what's around him, he'd be fine with his friends
-Ryan is really angry
-Seany can be very stubborn

No comments: