Sunday, August 10, 2008

Olympic Excitement

Alex is hooked on the Olympics. He LOVES the men's gymnastics. After oohing and ahhing over various feats of strength he started in.

Alex: "Mommy, why did you stop my gymnastics when I was 4 years old?"

Mommy: "Because you weren't having fun anymore."

Alex: "Well, gymnastics is a discipline like karate. Its not always fun. But look what I'd be able to do. Can you sign me up again?"

Mommy: "The rules in the house are simple. Kids activities are fun for the kid or they don't do them. You complained about it everyday. I decided it was time to move on."

Alex: "Ok. I won't complain this time."

Mommy: "We'll see."

Break to swimming, Micheal Phelps wins a gold medal! Break to interview with fencing champions -- 3 American women score all 3 medals! Interrupted by Alex both times, "Mommy I want to learn to swim like that! Mommy, why can't I take fencing?"

Mommy: Regarding swimming, "That's why you take swim lessons."

Alex: "No, Mommy, no. I take swim lessons so I don't die in the water."

I let him have that one.

Mommy: Regarding fencing, "Fencing is an East Coast sport. Not really all that exciting here in the West."

Alex: "Well, what about the Europeans?"

Mommy: "How about we wait until the Olympics are OVER and you pick your absolute favorite things to try?"

Alex: "That's probably a good idea."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You do have to admire the diversity of interests though :)