Monday, August 25, 2008

Tonsillectomy and the month reprive

The jumbo tonsils will vacate the body on Oct 10. That would be a Friday.

He first suggested getting them out next week and then I asked about before our trip. He said, "Absolutely not. You may not travel for 2 weeks after the surgery and I'd like to encourage you to go a whole month without travel." So it has to wait until we get back. And then I had to schedule it around Jim's memorial -- so that at least Mark could go to that since the memorial won't be the weekend Alex has a long break.

I'm not worried about the surgery. I'm under anesthesia for 30 minutes, out come the tonsils, I'm observed for 2 hours and then poof! I go home.

I'm worried about what will happen at home. I'm supposed to drink lots of liquids and not do any heavy exertion for 10 days! 10 days! How is that going to work? How is anybody going to be able to watch the chicklets for 10 days? He heavily emphasised the necessity of this since most tonsillectomy patients do a great job keeping a low profile for 5 days (too much pain) and then start doing stuff. Bleeding that won't stop is most common during the 5 to 10 day period (when you start feeling better at try to resume normal activity).

No comments: