Monday, August 11, 2008

Update on the sick mama

I went to the doctor. I was terrified of another battle of strep and that I would come out the loser again! Think back, my friends, to awful Feb/Mar episodes of "Kathryn fights strep."

Anyway, he gave me some kind of migraine pill to cure the headache (FYI, strep usually starts with a disabling headache). And he gave me extra in case I get it again, so I wouldn't have to pay to fill the prescription twice.

He gave me some kind of wonderful 5 day antibiotic (taken 1/day for 5 days), no need to keep track of the how many times a day or take it for 10 long days and keep forgetting.

I didn't test positive for strep, but he thinks I am infected with a strep type infection. Mentioned something about my being a carrier? Its centered in my tonsils as usual and he said that I have the biggest (grossest, he didn't technically say grossest) tonsils he's ever seen. This is now the third doctor to describe my infectious horrors that way.

He had his nurse schedule me with an ENT and I should be having them pups out shortly after that. Preferably after we get back from Disney heaven, so I'm not wiped for the trip.

Anybody want to come out and take care of the chicklets. Apparently a tonsillectomy as a grown person is quite the deal to go through.

He also swears that he recognized me and my kids -- not a member of his LDS ward, kids not at the same school, he not be headed to Catholicland come Sundays, a mystery it remains. This happens to me a lot. The doctors around Utah from Salt Lake on down (now clear past Provo) all swear that I am familiar to them and they recognize not just me, nay, but also the chicklets. I didn't realize we got around so much!

Get this, Mommy is told she needs surgery. Kids hear, "Free ice cream at the pharmacy!"

Alex: "Lets come back to this doctor again."

Andrew: "Mommy I hope you get sick again."

Ryan and Sean in unison: "Hurray!"

3 comments:

Jennifer Fischer said...

Hi Kathy,
I hope you are feeling better. I had strep throat this past spring. I caught it from one of my students. It was terrible. I took the same type of antibiotic for 5 days. It worked very well. I wish I could come and help you. I had surgery a little over a year ago so I can sympathize with what you are going through. I will keep you in my prayers.
Take Care,
Jennifer

carolyn said...

hope you feel better soon. love, c

Kathryn said...

Thank you for the well wishes. I'll update the tonsils situation after my ENT appt on the 25th.